Wednesday 29 April 2020

SNU. ASU2. Now i am going to pick up some loose ends. Blogging the terms progress has been, along with making the work, a learning process. I know that i will have to write it over again but having started this way of retelling the story i need to make myself get to the end. I am counting down days now to hand in which means i may pass through this sketchily so i have time to document in another way that meets my tutors asks more succinctly. Each way is a retelling. I guess that i came to my MA wanting to learn how to tell stories and this is one way of learning what works and what doesn't. 
A part of this terms learning outcome demands was to engage in new and unusual ways with an audience. The brief is as wide as the takers imagination. Most of mprevious work exhibited work might be said to have been in unusual contexts and stretching the notion of textiles and sculpture, from temporary site specific pieces (2015, 2016, 2017 & 2019) to dialogical happenings (2017) to my human rights act project (2015). I wanted in many ways to make work that i could sell because selling my ideas is costs, it is great to be exhibited and to have opportunity to offer ideas to an audience but in a world driven by God-money it means that i am always subsidising my work and i need it to pay for itself. I wanted to know how to make smaller pieces that held their integrity but were work i could sell. I have not yet learned how to do this. Even the way i have blogged my whole process this term is giving away free my life story. Isolation ironically is forcing me more into the open. 
Before isolation I had already applied to be in exhibition at the Raveningham Sculpture Trail (still happening) and the Bishops Art Prize (postponed) the Self-Love exhibition (accepted then rejected) and to be part of the local XR group's Pilgrimage of the Animals (cancelled). 
As part of the Pilgrimage of the Animals i acted as helper to local artist Maria Paveledis when she led a printmaking workshop. It was good to learn from an experienced workshop facilitator and because it was held at St Peter Mancroft Church i also had opportunity to speak after the workshop to the ministers of the church about art, politics and Christianity. The pilgrimage was to have run from the cathedral to the church with stopping points for contemplation and each participant was to make a shield bearing the name and image of an endangered animal. Mine was a dusky hopping mouse. To get to know our creature we were advised to look up our creature in order to know it. This is how to engage, knowing gives insight, and insight understanding.
One of my tutors recommended i go in the direction of dialogical art and i have been researching people who practice this from Yoko Ono to Miranda July. I need to give more time to research it is always hard to strike a balance when studying between thinking and doing. I think i engage in this practise all the time but i have also been a dialogical happening in exhibition before (see above & 2017). It is interesting work but it is a physically and emotionally demanding practice i found. Maybe i need to find a way to practice opening dialogue in which i am less important. To create the space rather than be the focal point. Maybe that is what i hope to learn in the course of this MA. How to open a door or a window that lets people through, in or out but which doesn't demand that i always take that journey with them or if i do it is as a subtler presence. 
I ought to know how to do this. It is part of my shiatsu practice. To meet. To witness. To engage and connect, to see, hear, feel, a clients patterns whilst maintaining a border that protects both my client and myself. To touch with weight that is weightless. To make contact without making contact. Maybe my next step of learning in my creative practice is to find a way to make art that is like that. Art that has boundaries that act let the wind though a hedge or a wire between posts rather than a wall. I need to learn what kind of boundary is appropriate for what and for when. Boundary or space. I guess there is an element of this in the learning outcome ask. 
I must ask: where does my work belong ? How does it fit ? Can i make it fit ? or is it better to find a place where it fits ? Is it better to be seen in the right place by fewer people or the wrong place by a larger audience ? Who is my audience ? What is it that i am trying to communicate to those who see my work. Do i need an audience ? If i need an audience why do i need an audience ? Its that old chestnut if nobody sees a tree fall does it still fall ?


        

No comments:

Post a Comment