Friday 17 April 2020

ASU2. I was making these prints of Jon and Southwold and thinking about how to work with the seagull images but as I was due for a tutorial with my Fine Art tutor i figured i needed to give some time and attention to that module. Remember i've got two story threads going. ASU2 is about Jesus, the stations of the cross and his life leading up to that. 
My brain is on fire trying to carry and work with these two pretty intense emotional journeys. For ASU2 I am thinking about the last supper. Looking at Leonardo Da Vinci's last supper, thinking about last suppers, thinking about Judas, thinking about the garden of gethsemane, thinking about jesus at the temple, just before his crucifixion and jesus at the temple as a young boy, thinking about all the people who have relationships with jesus, his disciples, his mother mary and mary magdalen, also his father, thinking about the politics of his time, thinking of politics now, thinking about Corbyn & Tom Watson, about betrayal and denial, the cock crowing three times. Thinking about how the life of one may impact on another. This links to my SNU story thread but the link is a filament thread, a thought thread. I am also looking at Michelangelo's Pieta in Rome and Bill Viola's Pieta video. 
As well as this a collaborative project that was begun last term needs attention. This project is with four young business students from the UEA we need to put together a presentation for St Martin's Housing Trust in about four weeks. No work has been done since we were initially introduced by our universities, NUA & UEA last autumn. I had not realised i was signing up for a collaborative project when i went to the first meeting which was described as an opportunity to learn about branding and story telling. Story telling is one of the things i want to learn. That is an aside. In fact the theme of the project feeds into the ASU2 theme in some ways. We are looking at homelessness and how the homeless are witnessed by society. 
Work made for the first tutorial is just ideas, the christmas sketchbook which i don't think i showed, and also some working thoughts in my Playbook of Jesus in the garden of gethsemane and also the last supper, the empty table after the party has left to go to the garden. I think that Mary Magdalen is there unseen, left behind while the men go off. I think of all the people thinking their separate thoughts no one quite knowing what the others are thinking. I think about Judas and his thirty pieces of silver and Cornelia Parker's piece with that name. I think about him hanging himself. The betrayed and the betrayer both damned to hard deaths. Who is the victim in the story ? I am looking at all the points of view. My mind is a little fried. 
I am also thinking about the colour palette i want to use for my stations project and how the pencils, paints and inks i want to use act on the paper in the book i was thinking to work in. The colour palette i'm thinking of is not the brights in my Playbook but more sombre, darks with blues and reds and maybe golds i am thinking about medieval paintings and also the italian masters, of paints made from gem stones, burned and raw earth, lamp black and real gold.  

Bibliography
Goldscheider, L. (1950) Michaelangelo Sculptures Complete Edition. 2nd edition. London: Phaeton Press.
Parker, C (2000) Cornelia Parker Catalogue for exhibition. 2nd edition. Boston: ICA.
Walsh, J. (ed) (2003) Bill Viola:The Passions. Los Angeles, California: Getty Publications.




No comments:

Post a Comment