Saturday 18 April 2020

SNU. One of the photographs in my small selection was a kodak print from 1972, the colours in it were so lovely it seemed a shame to lose them. I was still thinking about making screens from the seagull photographs mentioned earlier but wasn't quite sure what to do with them and Jess the print workshop technician suggested doing a CMYK screen print using the kodak photograph. This would allow me to learn how to separate the layers and then reprint them and it would teach me colour layering which was something i wanted to know more about, to get better at. 
The first task was to scan the photo and put it into photoshop then divide the picture into four layers of colour C (Cyan) M (Magenta) Y (Yellow) and K (Black). I don't know why Black is called K. Having done this, decisions needed to be made about filters and dpi dots per inch, shape of dots per inch and so much more. I was just learning so went on advice for round dots at 300dpi. I used two filters half tone and diffusion dither to see if the prints from the two filters would be different. They were. I'm not sure how clear that will be in photographs but there is a difference on the actual prints. The difference is maybe more obvious on the sheets used to make the screens. 
Using this process i made two sets of prints CMYK half tone & CMYK diffusion dither over the course of two afternoon/evening sessions in the screen printing studio. Approximately 5-6 hours each. It allowed me to embed the registration process into my body. I also learned how to mix inks that were translucent enough to allow other colours to be seen through. Sonia said that the black needed to be no more than a smoke to add detail and to make it very light. The half tone black prints were rather lovely i thought, ghostly and quite different from the diffusion dither which were more solid. 
I also discovered how weird it is to print pictures of myself over and over again. Feelings aroused were a distaste for what felt quite narcissistic, a deep vulnerability, also a blank objectivity, and an uncovering of a childhood grief for my grandpa who died the Autumn after the pictures were taken. I have referred to this in one of my previous blogs so i won't go over old ground but the deep and uncomfortable feelings i was dealing with made me hyper-sensitive and work wise i was pushing myself hard, too hard maybe, which led to exhaustion. Sometimes it is important to step back and breathe, note to self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment