Sunday 10 April 2016

And on tuesday I went out to Earsham to continue taking the pieces of cloth out of the gate that I used for structure last year and to begin to make new connections with the site in preparation for this years trail. I am still very much in the process of collecting and collating material, both physical and immaterial at this stage, this feels like being lost and although it is an uncomfortable feeling it is also essential to me as it helps me to stay fluid, later I will have to tether my ideas, give them ground as well as space, but at the moment I want them to be free. 
My proposed piece stems from Andrew Atterwill's tweets that the study centre weather station posts to his twitter page https://twitter.com/AndrewAtterwill. These started up some time last autumn/winter and fed through to my facebook feed. They are like a breath of fresh air in amongst the blah-blah, the feeling they give me is akin to the shipping forecast or the football results or a book of tide tables. They represent an inconstant constant, I like that balance it makes me feel at home. 
I have a loose picture of how the work I want to present will look but as it is a site specific piece I have no choice but to be flexible to the site. That is, for me, a part of the pleasure and thrill of this kind of work. It brings me closer to the place I am working in, allows me to become a part, like a spider spinning a web, or a bird making a nest. 
This is why removing the rags from Bigod's Way 2 is really the beginning of my piece for this year. This morning Brian Eno tweeted "Where's the edge ? Where does the frame start ?". In much the same vein of thought I am wondering about beginnings and endings. 




No comments:

Post a Comment