Saturday 6 June 2015

More sunshine, more art and more friendship today. First up I went to the Cathedral to see the exhibition of work shortlisted for the Bishop's prize. The Bishop's prize is given to a NUA student coming to the end of their course - BA or MA. It is open across the whole those final years and the briefs are usually pretty lovely, stemming from a biblical theme but very open, applicants are given free reign to interpret the brief as they see fit. 
I met with my good friend Colin Johnson, who I hadn't seen for a long time. We enjoyed the show and were particularly intrigued by Sarah Smith's photographs and also Kazz Morohashi's windmills within the zen garden. 
Later I popped in to the Art Fair East which is in it's first year. I'd arranged to meet an artist, Jo Howe, who I had encountered at the 2015 Turn The Page Book Fair a month or so back. We'd had a bit of an instant click sharing an interest in communication and shadows and script but had not chatted for long, so when she suggested we get together again it was an opportunity too good to miss. 
Generally I'm a bit of a recluse, known for my need for solitude by close friends and family, so these past couple of days have been a bit out of the ordinary sociable. I have a feeling that in a month or so I will be holed up in my studio, so I am making the most of this phase of being companionable before I return to my normal mode of behaviour.
After hooking up with first Colin, then Jo, I went in search of the Space studios which are a part of the NNOS '15 event. I found them, but not before I accidentally happened upon the Fairhurst Gallery and the beautiful exhibition by Alex Egan which quite honestly took my breath away. If anyone who is reading this blog lives in Norfolk I would really recommend getting along to this exhibition it is something very special.

No comments:

Post a Comment