Tuesday 11 March 2014

My latest reading is a couple of poetry books by John Burnside - Common Knowledge (pub Secker & Warburg) and Black Cat Bone (pub Cape Poetry). I'll confess a lot of it is going over my head and reading it is not a straight forward task. But then that is, to me, some of the nature of poetry, it's as if it goes in through all my senses, the words on the page are the poem, but not the poetry, if that makes sense. Anyway, these two books are not the only ones I've been reading this week but I wanted to jot down their names and the name of the author so that I can come back after I have absorbed this first impression.

These lines from Common Knowledge - Suburbs have become a part of my evolution.

"Wet sunday afternoon; after the rain a bible wind ripples the sheet puddles on Station Road; along the hedges by the girls' school an elaborate birdsong streams through the wet scent of roses, like a new form of music evolving out of water."

  

No comments:

Post a Comment