Monday 31 March 2014

It's nearly a year since I graduated, and at Christmas I signed up to be a part of NNOS 14 http://www.nnopenstudios.org.uk/ as I thought it would be a good way to mark the anniversary. My studio will be open for three weekends May 24th/25th, 31st/1st & June 7th/8th but I still have a long way to go before it is presentable so making work is on a bit of a back burner at the moment. 
However, over the weekend I gave myself time to play because the sun was shining and I had painted up some cloth and paper to begin experimenting with cyanotype printing. I did a little bit of this last summer but the sun is stronger in summer and the prints this time were more experimental and my motive less focused. Most of the ones that I made for a project about love were not very successful. There may be a metaphor in that. But the ones I made for a new body of work called "Lux Lucet In Tenebris" that I am sampling for were good for samples. The cyanotype process seems particularly suited to this project but I have also been working with discharge and devore and cut paper. I never really know where an idea will take me, and I have found that the best thing to do is to follow my fingers, and accept that whatever comes of it I will learn from making and playing and letting myself be. Occasionally I make something I love and that is such a tremendous feeling that the chance of that happening is enough to keep me going through the dull or not so happening days and work.






No comments:

Post a Comment