Sunday 12 January 2014

Two trips this week, tho' sadly no photographs because the batteries in my camera ran out and I hadn't brought spares. On thursday I had a bit of an explore around Sheringham, ambling up from the station through a quiet housing estate to a piece of heathland then back down to Beeston common and Beeston Priory and then through the back streets of the town to the sea. 
Quite alot of the beach is still fenced off after the storm in December, and various locked up shop fronts on the promenade looked a little worse for wear. The tide was up, the waves quite high, it was cold, and the water was grey and forbidding, but the salt spray was exhilarating and I am always happiest by the sea.    
Then yesterday, saturday, I went with my friend, Janet Cranness http://www.janetcranness.co.uk/ to Cambridge, to see the ceramics by Edmund de Waal and some Japanese Prints http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/gallery/nightoflonging/. I hadn't been to the Fitzwilliam for ages but we both remembered a course trip we had taken when we were studying together some years ago with a teacher we both struggled to learn from. Although, retrospectively, I realise that she taught me alot, I never did manage to enjoy her classes.
The prints were Shunga, erotic, some explicit, some less so, but all beautiful, detailed yet spare and exquisitely coloured. It was a very inspiring exhibition. The Edmund de Waal was interesting and inspiring too. They were a good complement to each other and today, inspired by yesterday, I have been playing with print and paper-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment