Monday 13 January 2014

I woke up tearful and mopey this morning and to be quite frank there is pretty much nothing that feels good about that mood. But, it is surprising what a day in the garden and a great yoga class can do.
The garden has been looking a bit uncared for over the past year or so. While I was studying I didn't seem to have much time for anything apart from studying. And even last autumn I couldn't muster the energy, or will, to get stuck in. But gardening is good for my blues. I potter about going from one job to another, and afterwards it generally looks hopeful. Hope is one of the things that gardening fosters in me. I cut something back, or plant something, or lay down a mulch, or claw back a bed that has got overwhelmed with the more vigorous plants, alkanet, ivy, stinging nettles, alexanders, cow parsley, brambles, the list goes on, and varies according to the season. Then I wait and watch. 
So today was largely spent on the last job on the list. Clearing up and rediscovering the earth and more delicate plants beneath the overgrowth, what did I find ? Snowdrops. Lots of snowdrops. And a few aconites, in bud. I have violets, which do well in my garden and spread into the area I would like to be grass, but is actually more moss and mud. And I have found a place to re-plant these violets where I hope they will thrive. The birds are in full song and the sun was shining so all in, I am not now feeling so out of sorts as I was twelve hours ago, thankfully. 


No comments:

Post a Comment