Sunday 12 May 2013


A few photos of my weave samples that I made way back in January/February this year. I am very conscious of knowing only a little about weaving at the moment. My time spent on the loom at university has allowed me to experiment with different design ideas, but I have not yet made a beautiful piece of cloth that I would exhibit or use as a finished piece. 
In these samples, I was looking first at how the colours changed as they crossed over each other. I also wanted to mimic the crumpled wings of a butterfly as it emerges from it's chrysalis, so I used two warps set at different tensions to create a seersucker effect. On top of this I hoped to create light fabric samples to suggest the notion of flight and air. 
The stripes evolved as I neared the end of the warp, I just loved the wavy lines and I was interested in how the weft yarn altered the quality of the fabric.   

No comments:

Post a Comment