Saturday 19 March 2016

Today was the first artist's meeting for the River Waveney Sculpture Trail 2016, a chance to view the site again, and meet the other participants. 
My connection to the site has held over from last year, as I have visited quite regularly, to see how Bigods Way 2 has aged over the winter, and also to see my friend Andy who works as one of the site wardens/managers. Walking the trail with people who did not know it gave me new eyes and ears which was welcome as I have felt run down this week and lacking in wonder. Maybe because it's been cold in England since the beginning of February. We have had one or two days of sunshine but the chill has felt particularly penetrating of late perhaps because it coincides with a longing for spring and warmth.  
It's good to meet other artists, simultaneously reassuring and stimulating, and I was pleased to re-encounter Mike Dodd, who was also on the trail last year. He is a thoughtful and interesting artist. I like his mind and open manner.
He and his similarly interesting son in law very kindly gave me a lift home which made my day shorter and easier. Buses are great, but they make travelling long-winded.
The exhibition has a different curator this year and so has a different feel, although some of that may be because it is more familiar territory to me now. It's exciting to be working with her because she and her partner and friend own and run one of my favourite galleries in Norwich, the Fairhurst Gallery http://www.fairhurstgallery.co.uk. If you are in Norwich I highly recommend a visit.
My day began quite early with the same bus ride from Norwich to Bungay as the year before and then the half-hour walk from Bungay to Earsham. It's the same views and I never tire of them although my relationship to the pathway has changed. It's a landscape embedded in my psyche but change is inevitable. Witness; the long bridge over the river has broken in half and that way, for now, is impassable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment