Monday 26 March 2012

Today I started a couple of weeks work experience in the costume department at the Maddermarket Theatre, Norwich. Amanda Harrold, mistresswardrobe.blogspot.com, is the wardrobe mistress, and she set me to small mending tasks, sewing on buttons and repairing the ruching on an a black and white velvet and satin opera coat, very yummy. The wardrobe is packed with clothes of all different ages, a real treasure trove of vintage textiles, from hats to coats to buttons to beads to shoes to threads, to, well you get my drift. 

The atmosphere is one of quiet industry, no fussing, just quietly doing, which was lovely. One of the regular volunteers had brought in an original flapper dress from the 1920's, which we all swooped upon with squeaks of delight. I was amazed how bright it was, it seemed almost like new, also how heavy, and curiously soft that quantity of sequins felt to touch.   


 The last picture is of the ruffles on the blouse I was working on. I just liked them. And as I'm thinking a lot about ruffles, and making texture, I thought I'd post the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment